Skip to Main Content

Kirkwood logo

Financial Aid

This is the the Financial Aid Office page for returning students.

General Questions

How much money do I need to go to school?

While there is not a set amount, in addition to the cost of direct school expenses (tuition, books and related supplies), will also want to consider everyday living expenses like housing, food, clothing, and entertainment. You can see the tuition costs going here.

Will you work while going to college? Many students work part-time. As you look at your class schedule, calculate the amount of time you can work and estimate how much you will be able to earn while attending college.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

In general, to be eligible for financial aid, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or its recognized equivalent.
  • Be enrolled in a diploma or degree program.
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress.
  • Not be in default of a federal or state student loan, nor owe a repayment on any federal grant.
  • Meet requirements specific to the financial aid program for which the student is applying.

Can I receive financial aid at more than one school at the same time?

In most cases, no, you may only receive financial aid from one school at a time. If you are enrolled at two schools, the school from which you are receiving your degree will process your financial aid.

Am I eligible for as much money if I have a BA degree?

Students who have a degree are not able to receive federal grant dollars. However, this does not apply to other types of federal financial aid, which means you may be considered for federal work-study and student loans.

How much income can I have and still qualify for grants? Why don't I qualify for Federal Pell Grant?

There is not a set dollar amount that determines whether a student receives financial aid. Most of the data requested on the FAFSA is used in a formula created by the federal government to calculate eligibility. Some of the major factors are household size, student and parent income, receiving means-tested benefits, and asset information. When you fill out the FAFSA, there is an estimate of aid. Please note that this is only an estimate. Kirkwood will determine your award once your file is complete.

Why haven't I been awarded financial aid yet?

These are some of the most common reasons why you may not have received your offer of financial aid:

  • You did not list Kirkwood's school code (004076) when you completed your FAFSA. You can return to FAFSA, log in using your FSA ID, and add Kirkwood. Or you can call 1-800-4-FED AID to request that Kirkwood receive your FAFSA results.
  • You may have forgotten to sign your FAFSA form (paper or web-based). You can sign electronically with your FSA ID. Can't remember your FSA ID? Go here and choose "Forgot My Username". You can also call 1-800-4-FED AID to recover your FSA ID.
  • We require additional documentation that has not been provided yet. Log in here to see what you may need to do. 
  • The Financial Aid Office has not had enough time to determine your eligibility. This may take four to six weeks during peak processing times (June through August).
  • You may have a HOLD on your account. Students must resolve any holds before receiving an offer of financial aid.

Can I enroll without an award?

You can enroll without an award if you are able to make full payment on your own. If you pay in full and receive an award later, a check will be mailed to you. If you are unable to pay on your own, you should continue to check MyHub daily for updates to your award status.

How can I check my application and award status online?

Log in to MyHub. Once you have logged in, click 'Check status' on the Financial Aid tile on the right side of the webpage. You may view your award by the year or view your award by the term. If no award appears, it is likely additional information is required. You may check to see what is still needed by logging in here.

What do I do if my financial aid is not processed before my tuition bill is due?

Typically the best option is to sign up for the Kirkwood Payment Plan, an interest-free monthly installment plan.

FAFSA Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?

Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This considers you for federal- and state-funded aid. Scholarships require student initiative. You can apply for Kirkwood scholarships by filling out just one application. Additionally, there are many other sources of external scholarships that you may qualify for, so we encourage all students to investigate scholarship opportunities independently as well.

I am separated/divorced. Should I include my ex-spouse's information on the FAFSA?

No. Use your income only. We may request documents when finalizing your file.

My ex-spouse has custody of the children, but I pay child support. Can I include my children on the FAFSA?

You may include them if you provide more than 50 percent of the child/children's support. In some cases, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.

My spouse/parent passed away during the tax year. Do I include that income on the FAFSA?

No. If the person has passed away, you do not provide that income information on the application.

I am getting married in two months. Can I say I'm married on the FAFSA?

No. Report your status as of the time you fill out the application.

My parent is remarried. Do I have to include my step-parent's income even though they are not the biological parent and are not supporting me?

Yes. When a student's biological parents are unmarried, you must determine which parent provides more support and list that parent's information on the FAFSA. If that parent is remarried, you must include the step-parent's information on the FAFSA as well. 

Do I have to apply for financial aid every semester?

No, just once per academic year.

How long does it take to process a FAFSA?

If you file electronically, you will receive a response in 3-5 business days. If you mail your application, it can take up to 3-4 weeks to receive a response. Please note that if you do not provide a signature on your FAFSA, your processing will be delayed.

I used the IRS Data Retrieval on my FAFSA, and my untaxed pension or untaxed IRA distribution rollover was incorrectly brought forward. What do I do?

Do not change the data imported into the FAFSA. Submit a copy of your 1099-R along with a signed statement with student name and k number to the Financial Aid office. The 1099-R is necessary to confirm that the amount is a rollover. With this documentation, we will remove the rollover amount from the FAFSA.
As a dependent student, can I file the FAFSA without parent information?

Yes, but it would be easier to have parent information. You might make them aware they would not be responsible for any loans you incur as the loans would be in your name. Kirkwood has a Parent Refusal form that can be used to inform your parents.

Do I include a deceased parent/spouse’s information on the FAFSA?

No. If the person has passed away, you do not provide that income information on the application.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid if I transfer to another school at semester?

You do not have to reapply, but dollar amounts do not transfer from school to school due to varying tuition cost. Check with the school you are transferring to about having your current year FAFSA information sent to them.

Grants and Scholarships

Will there be grant money available if I complete my FAFSA late?

Pell grant funds and student loans will be available. State-funded grants have a filing deadline and campus-based funds are limited. The sooner you apply, the greater your chances for receiving all sources of aid, if you are eligible.

What state grants are available for me if I complete the FAFSA?

There are a number of state grant programs which you can learn about them by going clicking on Types of Financial Aid on the right side menu. The Grants section is divided into categories: Federal, State and Local.

Do I qualify for the Last Dollar Scholarship?

  • The requirements for LDS are:
  • Be an Iowa resident
  • Enroll at least half time in an eligible program 
  • Complete the FAFSA
  • Have an EFC of 20,000 or less as determined by your FAFSA application

If you qualify, you will be awarded an estimated amount as part of your financial aid offer. That amount will be updated after you register for classes.

How do I apply for Kirkwood scholarships?

Go here to apply for scholarships. You can check out our FAQ all about scholarships. 

Student Loans

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

With the Subsidized Federal Direct Loan, no interest accumulates while the student is enrolled in school because the government is subsidizing it during the deferment period. Interest begins to accumulate after the six month grace period that begins once the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment. With the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, interest accumulates immediately after the loan is disbursed. The student will be billed quarterly while attending school. If the student does not pay the interest, it will be deferred. However, we recommend student pay the interest on unsubsidized loans because if they do not, they will owe more than they received as the interest is capitalized (added to the principal).

I just want a loan. Do I have to fill out the FAFSA?

Yes. The application is for both grant and loan eligibility.

How much can my parents borrow on a PLUS Loan?

The formula for determining the maximum dollar amount is the cost of the attendance minus the financial aid received. Check with the Financial Aid Office and they will do the calculation for you.

How can I get my loans deferred?

Kirkwood participates in the industry-sponsored consortium, the National Student Loan Clearinghouse. Kirkwood reports student status to the Clearinghouse and it is responsible for providing status and deferment information to guaranty agencies, lenders, servicers, and the Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System. 

A list of participating lenders is available on the National Student Clearinghouse website. Deferments for lenders who are not members of the National Student Clearinghouse should be brought to the Financial Aid office. The deferments will be processed and mailed to the appropriate address. Students may view the electronic notifications and deferment forms that have been sent to lenders, servicers and guarantors on the Clearinghouse web site. The Clearinghouse web site may be accessed through MyHub.

It is important to continue to make payments on your loan until your loan is deferred. If you have further questions about deferment, please contact your loan servicer. To find out who your loan servicer is, log on to the Federal Student Aid website.